us

5.31.2013

today is a wild card day.

Instead of the Happiness Project with Sarah this week, I'm just gonna sort of spit out what I'm thinking and feeling today. Also, today is raining and stormy and all around miserable, so I'm in a grumpy mood.
Here we go...


- I'm only gonna say this once, so listen up peeps. STOP hashtagging every single word in your Instagram post or Tweet. Just stop. You look absolutely dumb. One or two words or a phrase is fine, but not:
 "Going #outside for #MemorialDay with my #dog and #boyfriend. #summer #sun #swagg #flags #america #goldenretreiver #party #happy #fun #sunshine #wereawesome!"
If you've done this in the past, there's a 98.99% chance I unfollowed you.


- I have the biggest problem with being appreciative of what I have. Don't get me wrong, I realize I am very lucky to have a job making a really great salary and awesome family and friends that support me from afar. But there are days when I sit and think "I really have nothing in my life, no friends, no social life" or "I wish I could be a popular blogger, mine is crap."
When really, I do have amazing friends & family, they just aren't here. And my blog is good, not great or amazing, but I love you guys (my readers) and I know my blog is what I put into it. I need to stop looking outside of what I have for something else and realize I've been truly blessed.



- On the "I have no friends" rant... it's REALLY hard to make friends in a new city. At work, most of the people I work with/interact with are older (30+) and have families, of which is not fun for me at 23 (okay, I'm still 22. But 23 in 13 days, so whatever). I don't work for a "young company", so finding coworkers to bond over work with is really, really hard. I do have "friends", but none I can text and say "hey let's go to the casinos for my birthday in two weeks!" And that really bums me out.
In college it was so easy to make friends, but now it's almost impossible. Taking out the real adults I work with and the older women I'm friends with, the people my age in town either a) already have their friend groups set up from growing up here/college/whatever or b) don't make themselves known to me, because I really don't know where to go to meet non-creepy people. I'm not gonna go sit at a bar and try and pick a friend up, because first that's really lame and second I'm not into the bar scene at all, which is also why finding a relationship is really hard for me.
I did read Rachel Bertsche's book, but the main difference between my situation and hers is that she lives in Chicago, a major city, and she wasn't 100% alone - she had her husband. Of which I have neither, not even a boyfriend. And Memphis doesn't even have decent public transportation, like a light rail system. The metro population here is smaller than Pittsburgh by 1,019,043 people - and yes, I looked it up.


- Okay, going into the positive... my Mom, sister and I are going to Florida this August, and I'm super pumped. I haven't been to Florida/a beach in a few years, so I can't wait to have the sand in between my toes and a really big drink in my hand. Take me to paradise right now, please?


I hope you have an awesome weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)