us

5.30.2013

Thursday Truths - Motivation, or lack thereof

I'll be the first one to tell you, I SUCK at getting motivated to do anything.
I think it all started back in Elementary school when I realized that for most subjects I didn't have to study for tests because I would have aced them regardless.
I also didn't like the stress of studying.
I'm not saying I was (or am) a genius or anything, but there were some subjects I could hear the teacher lecture on and I would get it right then and there (mostly English and of course Computers).



Getting motivated to study was hard, and it was something I continually struggled with in college.
Even getting motivated to write this post was hard for me, because I just never know what to be honest about.
It's also very difficult balancing having a professional life and writing online, because I run the risk of sharing too much and having it "ruin" my career.
Although I think I'm at the point in my life where I'm pretty good at monitoring that stuff.
And that's why I started this series, because I need to challenge myself to be more open with y'all.

Anyways. Motivation.
I really enjoy running (note: I didn't say I love it), but the hardest part for me (and I assume for other runners) is actually getting out there.
That's also my main problem with exercise in general, writing, cleaning, cooking.
It probably sounds like I'm lazy, but I'm really not.
I have these bursts (which I've talked about before) where I'll be uninspired/unmotivated and then be almost obsessive compulsive and work or clean or write really hard.


I really blame most of this on the fact that I'm a Gemini, and I have "two personalities"
Lame excuse, I know.
But even when I listen to people like Jillian Michaels, the number one problem most people have is getting motivated - to lose weight, to start saving money, to take the next step in their career.
It's hard. It really is.

I think the most important thing is to always have a goal in mind.
Remind yourself every day that you aren't motivated to do it and end up not doing it, is one day you tack onto not reaching that goal.
Yes, you'll have set backs and times when you really don't even care to try to get motivated.
But don't let it ruin your life.


How do you get motivated?
What's your favorite motivational quote?



1 comment:

  1. Well said...getting motivated is definitely hard, and even when I do...it doesn't seem to last. Wish I had the answers for you :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)