us

5.23.2013

Thursday Truths - Creativity

I will be the first one to tell you that I am not a creative person.
Up until a few months ago, I didn't even think I had any talents (sometimes I still think I don't).
The only talents I can brag about are that I know more about video games than the average girl and I'm pretty good at baking.
That's it.

But I do have dreams, and I'm always thinking about things.
Nothing specific, but just thousands of things - sometimes all at the same time.
It's always been a passion of mine to run/start my own business.
I love making things and seeing them work, seeing them come to life.
Obviously because I'm a tech nerd, this would be an online/mobile/app business.
I just can't figure out what business.
I suppose I'm only a half of an entrepreneur in that sense.



I've been working on teaching myself some more programming (Javascript, Android, C++ etc.) because in college although I did get a computer science-ish degree, it was more on the business/database/network side of things and not development/programming.
My university did have a software engineering degree, but I didn't get much exposure to programming in high school so I never thought I could do it in college/for my career.
I was 100% intimidated by software engineering.*

And while we're on the subject of that... how crappy is that?
Even in the early 2000's during the dotcom boom, high schools (at least mine) were offering maybe 2 or 3 advanced computing classes.
My high school only offered (for advanced classes) HTML and Visual Basic I & II, both of which I mastered by 11th grade.
I was never motivated to reach for something more, although I knew I wanted to work with computers for the rest of my life.
There's also the disparity of women in technology, which I could write a whole thesis on... so for another time.


Anyways, my point is - I'm not creative.
I can't think of a new product/service that people need.
I'm a technical person.
I carry around a journal with me to jot down ideas, but right now my "creativity" track is on my novel(s).
Which if you read my post on Monday, you'll know those are going nowhere as well.
Sigh. One day...


Do you have an awesome idea for something?
Need a nerd to work with you on developing that idea?
PICK ME, PICK ME!!! :)





*- still am a bit. Some of those people are smart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)