us

11.28.2010

GREEN friday recap.

What's up everyone! I promise I haven't gotten hurt, died or fell off the face of the planet. I'm still here. Currently, I'm recovering from working all week at Toys-R-Us.

I've worked at Toys-R-Us since 2007, making this my 4th Christmas I've worked there. I love my job, I love the people I work with. Out of anyone I know (aside from my managers, people that have worked there longer), I know more about toys and video games. Which I guess is a skill I can put on my resume? Probably.

(When I'm speaking from now on, toys means Toys-R-Us. Just some shorthand)

So here at toys, we call black friday "green friday" because of how much more money we make. Every year, it seems like the time we're open is worse. I can't remember what time we opened my first year, because I was still a minor and I worked later on in the day until close. This year, we opened 10pm Thanksgiving night. Which was pretty sucky. But obviously, I got through it.

My job for the first 4-5 hours of green friday is to be "line control" - I hold the sign that says "PLEASE FORM A LINE HERE" and direct people through the aisles. It's a pretty crappy job, not going to lie. But after the 4th or 5th hour, I get replace cashiers when they take their breaks. Then I become (as of last year[I believe]) GSL (guest service leader), which basically helps the cashiers with any and all issues they have with sales, coupons, guests in general. Then at some point, I take my break. After that, I go back to doing GSL or helping line control with feeding guests (we call our customers guests) into the cashier lines.

This year's schedule for me:
8:30PM-10PM - Preparation, putting sales signs up, etc.
10PM-1AM - Sign holder
1AM-4AM - Cover cashier breaks
4AM-4:30AM - My break
4:30AM-9:30AM - GSL, front line control, service desk

If you were actually reading counting, I worked 13 hours. Some of you might be thinking/saying "OMG!!". I've worked a 16 hour shift before. 12-13 hour shifts are actually really nice because usually (with the exception of this weekend) you get to work that shift and get a day off afterwards.

The only major things that happened while I was there was that a guest threw up in the mail aisle (I didn't have to clean it up, thank goodness) and one guest hit another guest with her cart, and the hitter proceeded to cuss out the hitee.




My mom and sister went to Target at 4AM. They said it was crazy, and I believe it. I went home afterwards, played Just Dance 2 with my sister before she went to work. I took a nap for a little while, got back up and did some homework and then went back to sleep.


It was a crazy day, but it's over. Now I have 3 weeks until I go back for 2.5 weeks for Christmas Break.



Thanksgiving- My Thanksgiving was really good. We had tons and tons of food, because we're Greek and all we do is eat. ^_^ We played Just Dance and sang American Idol Karaoke.

How was your Thanksgiving!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)