us

10.31.2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread {recipe}

I've been saying all week that I'm going to do No Sweets November but considering tomorrow is November I'm not sure how committed I am to it anymore. Regardless, I decided to make yummy Banana Chocolate Chip Bread because I like baking and food. :)





Unsalted butter, for the pan
3 to 4 ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter
2 large eggs (at room temp)
1 to 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

3. In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or masher into large chunks (you don't want it to be totally smooth - the banana should still have texture). You should have 2 cups.

4. Add the eggs, both sugars, the vanilla and butter and beat until thick.

5. Fold in the dry ingredients and stir until just blended - don't overbeat. Stir in the chocolate chips.

6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until the loaf has risen and a knof or skewer insterted into the middle comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife or offset spatula along the deges and invert onto a rack or a plate. Peel off the parchment paper and invert again.
Eat warm or at room temperature.


I have a serious confession to make.
I only realized after my bread was already baked that I not only forgot to add in the baking soda, but I completely forgot both the sugars. SO if you follow the written recipe it will probably taste much sweeter than mine does.
But my bread doesn't taste bad with those missing, it's actually pretty good. I'm claiming that it's just a lot healthier sans sugars. Plus I think with the chocolate chips (I added more like 1 3/4 cup) it makes up for the sweet.

Note to self, read the entire recipe before you start. Read it twice.

Let me know if you try this and how it works out for you!! :D

Recipe adapted from In the Small Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)