us

9.03.2013

scenes from the weekend + hello september!

Ahhh September. You and October are two of my favorite months, next to my birthday month of June that is. I can't wait until the weather actually starts cooling down and it's not so humid out. Not kidding, went for a run yesterday and ran for 5 minutes and was DRENCHED in sweat. I couldn't even breathe. And no, it's not because I'm "out of shape".


This past weekend should have been filled with parties, family and friends... but since I have none of that here I decided to go out and make my own fun. I've lived in Memphis for over a year now and aside from taking friends & family that have visited and one time for my birthday (at night), I haven't ever explored downtown. I always hear people raving about Downtown & Midtown (and how I should live there, because I'm a total snooze living out in the burbs. News flash, I work way out in the burbs and that 30+ minute commute plus how expensive it is to live there as just one person isn't for me. Enough.). I've been to Midtown a couple of times for dinner, and it is a really cool, hipster place. But this weekend I wanted to explore downtown.

Last year on Labor Day weekend my sister came to visit and we went downtown and got to experience the Memphis Music & Heritage Festival. I loved it and decided to come down again this year. I mostly just walked up and down S. Main, relaxing and taking in the sights, sounds and smells (so. much. good. food!) of Downtown. Enough of me blabbing, here are some pictures! :)



Okay, you can't get much more ghetto than this. I don't know what else to say except I definitely locked my doors going through this part of town after I saw this. 



This is along the river front and it makes me really sad. The architecture and location of these buildings are perfect and gorgeous, but the fact that the windows are either smashed in or missing makes me sad. I'm hoping that by the look of the bottom left, they're renovating them into loft apartments (I'd totally move in). This is why cities like Memphis have a bad rep.


On the upside from that last picture, seeing stores with cute signs like this remind me that some people still have pride in the city. 



There's a bunch of different flags for Downtown, but this was one of my favorites. Also, I looked like a total tourist taking all these pictures. #YOLO as the kids say these days...




I went into Tater Red's because A) it looked awesome B) I've been to every store on Beale Street except this one. If you happen to come to town, stop in here. It's super cool and eclectic. I ended up trying on this really cute sparrow printed dress with long sleeves and it fit perfectly.... but it was $50. A little steep for me. $35-40 and I would have gotten it. I was going to wear it to The Lumineers concert in October (I bought my ticket... EEP!).
ANYWAYS... This sign was on the mirror in the dressing room. Again, I love that people take pride and love what they do in town. Makes things fun. :)



Also if you ever come to Memphis, go to A. Schwab's on Beale. It's a funky souvenir shop, but once you get past that it's an amazing piece of Memphis history. This was on the Bannister on the second floor, which is a little Beale Street museum. It has old sales ads from the store in the 20's and 30's and just some really awesome old furniture.



Other than that, my weekend was pretty relaxing. I spent most of it lounging or playing The Sims. Don't judge me, that game is freakin' addicting. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to lay on the couch, eat my tortilla chips and mango salsa and watch E! for the rest of the night.


How was your long weekend!? Do anything super fun?
Let me know in the comments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)