I've been getting pretty honest and raw lately round these parts, but sometimes I just need to do the feels. Today I want to talk about how awkward blogging is. Not coming up with post ideas or even taking pictures in public, but sharing your posts. I've talked to other blog friends about this and they agree.
To complete strangers, you have no problem sharing every bit of your life in posts. But once you tell friends and family that you have a blog, it gets really awkward.
I have a separate Facebook page for carelessly graceful (& only a few likes.. go on over and like me. Please. PLEASE #NotDesparate), and I share my posts with only my circles, not publically, on Google+. I share my posts on Twitter too. But I never share on my personal Facebook page or really talk about it with my family. Sometimes I'll tell my sister about a post I wrote and she'll say "Yeah I read that", but it just feels like another life I lead sometimes.
And most of it is my fault - I could just own it and plaster my Facebook with my posts. I'd probably get more readers and stuff. But I'm not that confident with it yet. I've been blogging here for a few years and I love you guys, my readers. I feel like I can be honest with you and you won't judge me (too much) with the things I write about.
There's also a whole other side of blogging, and that is trying to control what I say on here for professional reasons. We all know how online behavior can bite you in the butt with your career. I don't think I've ever really posted anything too controversial, but it's an insanely fine line I have to walk everytime I post. I'm not a specific genre of blogger, like fashion or travel. Well, I guess I am. I'm a lifestyle blogger, and so I post about my life. And I'd love to be 100% honest with you about my career and family and things, but right now I don't think culturally we're prepared to be in that state.
I do post on all my social medias a disclaimer about how nothing posted reflects family, friends or employers. But even that never feels like it's enough and I have to censor the sharing of my posts and what I post constantly. I don't know, maybe I should just start sucking it up and just share bomb my Facebook friends. If they don't like it they can unfriend me, right?
How do you handle blogging and your family/friends & your career?
Do I just need to gain more confidence in my blog???

No comments:
Post a Comment
Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)