My motto/philosophy on life/favorite quote/whatever is "Everything Happens For A Reason". I truly believe things do happen for a reason, even the worst events are there to change something or make you grateful. There was a culmination of things that happened on Friday that have really gotten me thinking about why they happened. For one, my car accident - I believe that was meant to tell me to slow down (literally & figuratively), to really start saving money and to help me grow up more and become a real adult.
Friday morning, pre-accident, I was also talking to an older coworker. This woman is my mentor at work and outside of work. She's so smart, strong and knows how to get things from people. She's divorced but has had the same boyfriend for a long time (like 10 years?). I was telling her about my struggles with finding friends in town and even finding a man.
She knows I've tried the whole online dating thing (ew, no) and that there aren't really any young guys at work - plus interoffice dating is really tough/a no-no. As we were talking, one thing she said struck me:
"You have gorgeous hair and eyes. Men, sadly, are visual creatures. Just put some lipstick on, eyeliner and you'll get a guy at the grocery store or while you're out with your girl friends."
All of this is true, and all things I know. But what made me stop in my tracks was - I was wearing makeup that day. I had powder on my face, eyeshadow and mascara on. I even think I had a little eyeliner on too. But she couldn't notice it. And if a woman doesn't see your makeup, you're doing something wrong.
I've gotten lazy with myself.
Both physically (I can't tell you the last time I actually ran) and just mentally. I'm not challenging myself. I haven't been putting much makeup on because I hate scrubbing it off at night and I refuse to get more pimples (my skin is FINALLY clearing up) or an eye infection from leaving it on.
I work in IT, so the office vibe/attire is very business casual, leaning more on the casual side. For instance, I could probably get away with jeans and a nice blouse everyday and not be out of the ordinary. Monday - Thursday I wear black dress pants and a decent blouse, or a simple shirt.
But I need to take more pride in myself. More pride in what I wear and how I wear it. They say you need to dress for the job you want. And I haven't been. I'm all about the feminist movement, trust me. Working in IT women are more held back way more than any other profession. But at least for me, it's time to get back to dressing up. It's time to wear dresses to work, even if that makes me look out of place (& a noob). If I want to be a top executive I need to start looking and acting the part.
I have a few dresses in my closet, but I think once I get some extra cash I want to buy more. It never really gets cold here, at least not until February/March, so I can still wear these dresses into "winter" with some pantyhose (I'm probably still the only woman, besides Kate Middleton Duchess Catherine that wears them still).
These are just some of my favorites from my Pinterest fashion & beauty board. Of course I'm always on the hunt for more, and what a better way to find them than Pinterest.
{via}
I kind of have a thing for tweed.
I use to think it was super stuffy, but it's one of my favorite fabrics now.
I think it's just so classic, and perfect for fall/winter.
{via}
I'd probably swap the shoes and jewelry, but the dress is perfect.
Again, I like classic. Black + white = perfection.
{via}
Another tweed, I know. But I love the paneling on this one.
Makes a curvy girl look a bit slimmer... and I need that.
{via}
Okay, this is like absolutely everything I need.
Dying over the blazer and the bag, plus I think those are Louboutins.
Sigh, one day I'll own a pair.
And obviously I love the dress.
Isn't it crazy how you know you have so much style on the Internetz but in real life you don't (nor the budget for real style). I forgot I was on my own fashion and beauty board and tried to repin something because I loved it so much. Sigh. I have a Pinterest problem.
Where do you get some of your most favorite (affordable) work dresses?
I'm also looking for a pencil eyeliner (in black-brown) that won't give me raccoon eyes, is easy to sharpen, is easy to remove and is hopefuly < $15. I'll even go as high as $20, but it better work perfectly.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)