**Just a warning, I'm going to get really real with you guys in this post. So if you don't want to hear about the feels, I won't be offended if you move on.**
If you're my friend on Facebook or follow me on Twitter, you've probably read that I was in a car accident today. I'm physically okay - emotionally I'm shaken up and upset. This is my very first car accident ever. In high school I accidentally backed my sister's car into a fire hydrant (no, it didn't explode) and put a circle puncture wound in the rear bumper. But other than that, this is my first one where I had to call 911, get insurance information and be a real adult.
And it sucks. Basically, the woman in front of me had stopped quickly because someone turned in front of her quickly (probably sans turn signal) into Walgreens or Chick-fil-a or somewhere (I couldn't really see how far ahead this person turned) which caused me to stop quickly, with enough distance between us. The woman that hit me didn't realize it until it was too late and hit into me, which caused me to hit into the woman in front of me. Yes, a sandwich accident.
I would post pictures for you but I honestly just can't look at them anymore today without going into the fetal position and bawling hysterically. Literally as soon as it happened I put my car in park and dialed 911. All drivers were okay and the poor woman that hit me was so upset. I assured her that "these things happen" - which they do - and that we'll just wait for the cop to come get our information for the police report. I actually surprised myself and was a lot more rational and clear headed than I thought I'd be in my first wreck. I just knew I couldn't lose it there. It wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could do to turn back time and change it, so why should I get upset over it (except now I'm upset... but whatever. PTSD or something)
We waited for an hour and a half for a police officer to come. It was raining insanely hard here today, which is what 911 said was causing the delay for us - lots of accidents all around the city. Cool. So myself, the woman that hit me, her neighbor and the woman my car went into and her husband all waited in the rain for him to come and assess the damage. Of course the woman who hit me is at fault. And because this is Friday... I have to wait for her to call her insurance (which thank God she has) and for them to file the claim/send out an adjuster.
My car is drivable, yes. But only just. The horn makes a funky sound now and I'm 85% sure I can't pop my hood. It doesn't overheat, the airbags didn't deploy and the A/C still works fine, so that's a good sign. I know people get in accidents all the time. But it was my first one. And it upset me. As much as I try and be strong, it's upsetting. Especially because my car is just over a year old.
But it could have been A LOT worse. It really could have. I could have gone through the windshield (wear your seatbelts folks, seriously) or been paralyzed by the force of impact. Any of the other women could have been hurt. But I'm alive. And I'm writing this post. I believe in God, I know some don't. But I know he was there with me this afternoon. He kept me safe. My car can be repaired (at a hefty cost I'm sure... but that's what insurance is for, right?).
The worst part is even if I have to pay my deductible to get it fixed quicker, I don't have an extra $500 for that. I had to call my parents for help. And I know they don't really have an extra $500 either, but they're going to help me. I haven't really posted about my finances in a while, but they aren't great. I have tons more credit card debt than I ever have. Student loans still suck and of course I'm paying for my baby car who is severely injured right now. I do have money in savings, but I have to pay in a couple weeks for that class I'm taking. I'm going to be reimbursed for it but not until the end of October. How awesome.
I'm 100% a firm believer in Everything Happens for a Reason. I believe God was sending me a message. I'm not entirely sure what that message was, but I have a feeling it deals with my finances. Because it really could have been worse and I could have been hospitalized. And those bills would have been terrible.
I've had so much love from tons of people this afternoon checking on me and I really do love all my friends and family. Even though most of them aren't here with me physically, they still love me and worry about me.
And to that I am eternally grateful.
I don't know.
Sorry to spill the feels out there for you guys, I know it's not my usual posting "style".
I just needed to plop that out onto the Interwebz so I felt kind of better.
Any advice for me with dealing with insurances and stuff these next few days/weeks/HOPEFULLY NOT months?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)