I have to tell you something. Something very personal.
Are you paying attention? Good.
I have a problem. Or maybe it isn't a problem, depending on your perspective.
See, I do this thing where I'm really really messy for like 4 days.
Then I get so organized & on a clean streak to the point where I could be diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive.
I think this goes back to my college days when I lived at home and would have a super messy room.
It wouldn't really matter to me because my parents could shut the door and no one would know.
And when I needed a clean space to work in, I would live in the library for 8-10 hours at a time with the most organized table ever.
It's just how I work efficiently and productively.
Now, I'm an "adult" (still weird to say that) and I have my own place.
There's only so many doors I can shut to hide the mess.
When you walk in my front door into my living room, you are hit with the mess.
Now don't get me wrong, when I say mess I don't mean Hoarders style.
Because let's be honest - I feel the need to shower when I watch Hoarders.
I mean like shoes in the entry way, bags & purses by my couch, magazines scattered on the coffee table... basic things that most people see as normal clutter.
I also had done 4 loads of laundry Saturday afternoon and let them sit in a pile in the corner of my bedroom for three days.
I finally had to put them all away and clean out my drawers last night.
I needed to make sure my closet was completely organized with hangers evenly spaced.
All my tops are organized by color in three categories:
- Sleeveless
- Short-sleeves
- Long-sleeves
See what I mean?
I also have this thing with post-its, notebooks and more specifically lists. I need to write nearly everything down. And it usually is in list form. I run my life by lists (or calendars).
Never mind the fact that I have an iPhone, iPad and 3 computers (two personal, one for work).
Nope, good ol'fashioned pen and paper are my go-to.
Don't get me wrong, I use the Reminders app on my iPhone/iPad (they sync together) all the time, but sometimes I'll have extra items written down on a notepad that I take to meetings.
This leaves me with 18 bazillion post-its, scraps of paper everywhere and 14 new notebooks every month.
And this just adds to the clutter at my desk at work and at home.
"14 new notebooks a month? Really Kim??"
Not really, maybe like 2. But I can't fill one notebook completely up, oh no. That would be simple.
I have to buy a new notebook anytime I see a cute one.
Obviously, I have a problem.
Do you have any compulsions like this?
Any advice for my psychotic self? ;)

Ah I do the same thing! I'm queen of being a little messy and then going on a major clean streak. At least we get to the cleaning part eventually! :)
ReplyDeleteIsn’t That Charming.
Dude- not even *my* closet is THAT organized. Dang girl.
ReplyDeletebut I totally have this thing with notes too- and if I didn't write it nice enough? Do over. Times 50 because once I start I can't stop. And my calendar is on my body at all times. It really is. I don't like to use my Outlook calendar or anything in my phone because I like being able to flip pages.