us

10.09.2012

why I didn't register to vote.

Just by the subject of this post, I can already tell I'm going to get rage comments and emails.

But before you call me every other name but Kim, let me explain.

I don't hate the decades of work Women's Suffrage has done for my right to vote.
I think having the right to vote is one of the key things in a society.
It's so important to have a voice in what happens.

I didn't register to vote this year because I was already registered.
In Pennsylvania.
Which means I'd need to do a whole new registration.

I know it's as simple as filling in a form out and mailing it.
But as of two weeks ago, I finally just got my Tennessee license.

And honestly, it hasn't been on the to of my priorities list.
Not saying it isn't important, but there are things in my life that are even more important.
Like making sure I pay bills on time so I don't ruin my credit.
So if I had moved probably a month earlier, getting it in by yesterday's deadline would have been possible.
But I just couldn't. Sue me.



Now I'm going to get political on you.
I'm a Republican.

I'd consider myself a middle of the road Republican, because sometimes I agree with very few Democrat view points (abortion, for example).
But how I was raised and my thoughts on issues align predominately with the Republican party.

And I'm not wrong for having those beliefs.
Just like you aren't wrong for believing whatever you believe.
So don't attack me.

But I don't support Mitt Romney. I think he's a lunatic.
Sadly, right now that's all the GOP has. And it sucks.
So if we had another candidate that wasn't 2 fries short of a Happy Meal, I'd be voting/voting for him (or her!).

So I wouldn't be voting for Romney anyways.
And out of principle, I won't vote for Obama.
I'm not saying he hasn't done some good things in his 4 years, because he has.
But not as much as I would personally like to see in my president.
Which is why I couldn't support him with my vote.

But Michelle Obama is a bawse. For real.
I actually like her, party lines aside.
She's a super lady - sometimes I think she's done more than her husband!


But Obama is going to win. He just is.
Based on what I know right now, Romney barely has a shot.
I'm hoping he pulls stuff together for the next 4 years. I really do.
And if you know how the electoral college works, you know that my personal measly little write in vote for 'Mickey Mouse' or 'Joe Schmo' won't matter (since I wouldn't be voting for Romney or Obama).
I also haven't been educated enough in local politics to be able to vote for any of those candidates on the ballots.

Therefore, me not registering to vote really doesn't matter.
It's a null point.
And I get the whole "didn't vote? don't complain" mantra.
I voted in the last election, therefore I get to complain until this one is over.


Did you register to vote? Do you even care?
Let me know below!


4 comments:

  1. I'm actually not registered either. And the reason is much more simple- I'm not informed. I have a hard time listening to political debates and because of this I don't feel that when I go to the polls I can make an informed decision. And I don't want to vote for someone based on strictly party lines (though I do tend to lead more Democratic). Though I totally agree that Romney is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim - though I understand your reasoning, it personally bothers me when people do not take part in voting because I am a total nerd and think it is super important. But I know not everyone is that way, so I appreciate your gusto to leave this opinion on the Internet where you are open to mean people. At least you (& Sarah) are not the kind of people who are uninformed and vote for whoever is in their party, just because he is in their party. That bothers me more.

    Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is...Michelle for President! Yep. I said it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen... I am neither republican or democrat, I am more on that " I hate the two party system" band wagon. I don't feel "me" saying I am a democrat or a republican cause I am just not. Voting this year is going to be tough. I am taking a vacy day tomorrow and going to get some paper work issues out of the way such as registering to vote, and the ONLY reason I am is because I want a "say" in our state senate seat. In MA, awhile he is a republican I think we have a candidate as close as we can get today as "down the middle". So, there for I am going to vote, but for the President- I am with you, not to excited about it. Excited to become a follower btw! :)

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see where identifying to a party can be important - but I can also see where it's completely freakin' stupid because it really is. It's a shame most people vote on party lines, which is why this country is as messed up as it is (both Dems & Republicans). Middle of the road candidates are the best!

      And thanks for following! I'm following your awesome blog now too! :)
      <3

      Delete

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)