So if you were wondering, I'm moved into my apartment.
I've been here for about 5 days and I really do love it.
I have a love hate relationship with the fact that I'm on the 3rd floor, but I suppose it isn't the worst thing.
Who ever said 3 flights of stairs is bad for you - exercise, right?
I've compiled a list of things no one honestly tells you about moving and if they do say it - I'm more blunt about it.
- Holy craptards is it expensive. Like, not the actual move itself, because I budgeted for that (gas, food, etc.). But buying things for your new place? I suppose it isn't that expensive if you've already got baking sheets and flatware and plates and bowls and hangers... and I suppose you have to pay more for a bigger moving truck/whatever to move that extra stuff, so it balances out.. but when you're starting out on your own... It's come to around $1,000, if not more. Definitely more, that's just what I've spent. I have awesome family and friends that have bought different things for me as gifts, so it's been really helpful.
Yeah, I'll be paying off my credit card for-ev-er.
- It's a sweaty process. Seriously. Forget the sauna, move a bed and clothes and boxes up 3 floors and you'll lose like 15 pounds in sweat alone. Especially if you're moving to the south and doing it in 98 degree weather.
- Going back to the first point, unless you have everything from a former house, chances are you won't have a couch or other things for almost a month. I found and bought a great one, a smaller grey sectional, but chances are it won't be delivered for 2 weeks. Which makes my apartment look barren.
I don't have a nightstand or a coffee table either, and financially I probably won't have one until the end of August. So if you come to visit, don't judge me on my ghettoness too much. I'm just broke at the moment.
- It's exhausting. Like for real. I've gotten at least 6-8 of sleep every night, but holy cow am I just worn out. I think it has to do with the fact that within the last week, I've literally just been GOING. I finished my Masters program Thursday night and Friday we drove all day down here and I've been at work or unpacking in between. Hopefully by next weekend I can relax a little.
Oh and this doesn't have to deal with moving, but just some bragging;
I graduated from my program with a 3.51 GPA!
It's not the best it could be, but I'm proud of it. And I think 3.5+ is Honors status. So yay me!
Okay, end bragging. It just feels soooo good to be done.
4.5 years, 2 degrees later and I'm happy to be finished for a loooooonnnnggggg while.
soo true! i moved to many times from apartment to apartment.. and this year across country and i really hate it lol
ReplyDeleteYAY! Well, when I moved out I had $300 and we got literally everything we needed for our little apartment. The only thing we didn't buy was furniture, but we got crap people had in their basements that they didn't want anymore. But the good thing, is that once you do it? You're done. You can officially move anywhere you want now. :)
ReplyDeleteHooray for your apartment ... but 3RD FLOOR!!?? WTH?? Hahaha
ReplyDeleteWord of advice (as someone who put all her 1st apartment "stuff" on a credit card) MAKE YOUR PAYMENTS ONTIME ASAP!! It took me YEARS to pay it all off. :S
We r moving next week and I am dreading/anticipatinh it! We are moving for a job oppurtunity for my husband which is awesome but its a.much smaller home and a very different area from where we are now. I hate moving!lol
ReplyDeletesweetsweetnightingale.blogspot.com
ohh! I'm sorry about that! I have yet to experience it though, since I've been living with my parents..I can only imagine what you're going through.
ReplyDelete-kim
found the route