us

8.11.2012

{ISK Series} Roasted Cauliflower (Broccoli) and Quinoa Salad

I only had time this week to make on recipe, but hey.
We're starting out here slow people!

For my first post in the series, I've decided to do a take on one of my favorite dishes, Quinoa Salad.
When I make Quinoa Salad normally though, it's a Mexican version with black beans, corn, peppers and more.

This recipe called for cauliflower and coriander.
To which I have none, because I'm still building my pantry/kitchen.
So instead, I boiled broccoli and didn't use coriander - what the heck is coriander anyways???
I don't even know what it tastes like to substitute something else similar in...

Here is the original recipe:


Note the asterisks (*) - these are the modifications I made to the recipe.

First, I like almonds.
So when I measured out two tablespoons of them, that was like 8 almonds.
Come on. I made it more like 4-5 tablespoons.
In hindsight, I probably should have stuck with the original 2 tbsp.
Because in the end, I ended up burning the almonds and they didn't taste good at all.

Yep. Burnt.


Second. I don't really know where you buy red wine vinegar, because Kroger was all out and/or didn't stock it.
And I was not about to run to Whole Foods again, since I was there like 4 times in a week.
I used balsamic vinegar, which is a darker vinegar so why not.

Balsamic is almost the same as red wine... right?


I also didn't have ground pepper, so I used regular pepper.
No difference, right?

That isn't an empty bag of quinoa. Just almost finished!
Also note the basic salt and pepper....


And the big one.
I didn't have any cauliflower.
Which aside from the quinoa, is like the main ingredient to this recipe.
But I did have it's twin green friend.
Broccoli.


Definitely not cauliflower...

And let me tell you, I love the shiny-red-boots out of broccoli.
So I steamed some of that up instead.
Which didn't end up tasting all that bad.



I make a huge mess when I do anything, especially cook...


I just want to note that quinoa is pretty good.
I was apprehensive the first time I tried it, but it's like rice - it's neutral so it doesn't really taste like anything.
If you've been wanting to try it, this is a safe recipe to start with.

Final product - mmmm... delicious!


Also, when you cook quinoa, don't be alarmed at the weird little larva things (gross analogy, I know) that come out of it.
If you don't think about it, you won't be grossed out.
After a few times eating it you'll get use to it.

Doesn't that look weird to you? No, just me? Okay..



Next week I'll have two recipes for you!
Stay tuned for those and the rest of my ISK series!


1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks delicious! I love broccoli and almonds, so I'm sure I'd love this. Thanks for sharing, and have a great weekend :)
    --Becky
    preppypremed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)