us

1.23.2013

"I wrote you everyday for a year."

I bet you're wondering where I am on the 30x30x30 challenge.
Well I'm actually doing great, and that post will come later this week! Possibly tomorrow.
We shall see!!



Today, I wanted to talk about writing.
Not as in writing a novel, but just casual writing.
I always did well in English/Literature classes in school.
Expressing myself in text is something that comes naturally to me.


I suppose I started this blog as a way to express myself to the entire universe.
You can only keep thoughts in your head for so long before they need to be on paper (or a screen).
I wish I had a single artistic/creative bone in my body - I always wanted to be a graphic designer.
Or a musician. Or a crafty person that could sell greeting cards or jewelry or pillows on Etsy.
But I'm not. I'm a computer scientist and a writer.




I've decided to start writing in a physical journal everyday.
I hope to be able to look back on it 5+ years from now and see what my thoughts were on everything.
Some nights it feels tedious - like I'm repeating thoughts from the previous day.
I'm not a very dynamic individual - my feelings tend to stay the same day to day, but change week over week.
But, this is something I found through writing in the journal.
So that's good, right?


I think physically writing a journal is a great way to bridge the gap between the past and future.
Not only in some Nicholas Sparks/dramatic-love-story kind of way (but I guess that way too), but in a way that you can show and share with your kids or grandkids.

1- this book is hilarious, fyi. 2- books are dying, sigh.


Our kids and/or grandkids won't understand the joy of writing in a journal.
Just like we don't understand writing letters to people, when you can just send an email.
Or text, Facebook message, Tweet... etc.
(Although, if you do want to send me a letter I'd greatly appreciate it!!)


Think about it - 20 years from now, do you think Barnes and Noble will be open?
If they are open, will it be more than just a WiFi hotspot to download books on your Nook + Starbucks?
I don't know when physical books and journals will stop.
I'm sure it will happen, maybe even in our lifetime.

Online journals, blogs, etc. are great and can/will survive many years.
Sometimes, websites break. Or the company goes bankrupt.
Or they have a massive power surge to their servers where all your entries were kept.
Unless you back up your content regularly... you're at a loss.

Okay, enough trying to sell you on writing in a journal! :)


Do you keep a physical journal?
What do you like/dislike about it?
Do you want to start one?
Let me know in the comments!




2 comments:

  1. I used to keep journals because I do really love writing. And I guess my blog has become sort of that, even if I don't get all that personal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been contemplating starting to journal and I think you just pushed me in the right direction! I have a real cute red one that clips closed, so I'll start right now! Thanks for the persuasion :)
    xx - Amber
    Through College with Class

    ReplyDelete

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)