us

9.18.2012

The DMV - everyone's favorite place

I know everyone complains about the DMV, but I don't think you fully realize how much you loathe it until you have to go.

Since I'm a new resident of Tennessee, I of course had to get a new license.
And this week was probably the last week I could get away with still having my PA license.
(They had to take it to destroy it, and a part of me died a little inside - I think my young non-adult self)

So knowing how the DMV goes, I get there at 7:30 and am the 5th person in line (personal victory).
They don't open until 8:30.
Everyone was waiting patiently, we get inside and I'm the second person in my group.
(People are grouped by function - another guy ahead of me just moved to TN from Texas).

Took my vision test, and I have 20/40 vision. Which isn't perfect, but isn't bad.
Oh the joys of getting older/working on computers all day, every day.

It all went smooth until I went to sign my name for my license.
There was an unneeded 'LYU' in my name in between my first and middle name.
Ummmm, what? My middle name is Lynn...

Went back over to the woman, she removed it.
Got my picture taken, saw the printed license... no apartment number listed.

Went back again to the same woman and she said she would change it.
(I was very polite in all of this, if you're rude and piss them off it only makes things worse for you...)

10ish minutes later, my new and current license is printed, and all is well.
Total time: 2 hours.


As I was standing/sitting there waiting, I thought of a list of things you can do while waiting at the DMV.

- Read the complete works of Jane Austen.
- Knit a sweater.
- Write a politician's speech
- Memorize the entire US Constitution
- Read and send off 50+ emails (work & personal)
- Plan out a month's worth of meals (cutting coupons included)
- People watch the crap out of everyone
- Figure out your taxes



Do you actually like the DMV? If so... WHY?!? Anything else you'd add to my list?


4 comments:

  1. Oops, I still have my PA license, and I've been living in Mass for over a year! I don't drive, though, so I guess I can get away with it?

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah check the state's law! TN has a law that says you must get a TN license within 30 days of establishing residency... I've been here for a month and a half. So I delayed it as long as possible!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! That sucks! Especially because you got there early and everything :(

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fiance and I actually planned a good portion of our wedding while at the DMV last month. Luckily all we had to do was sit and wait but still, there's no such thing as a quick DMV trip that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)