us

9.10.2012

babies.

Before you get all excited and think that in the course of a week I found my soul mate, got married and got knocked up, I want to warn you:
I did none of those things, and probably won't for YEARS.
This is going to be a rant, or at least a declaration to the blogosphere on my stance on babies/children.


Here's the thing.
Maybe it's because I'm getting into my mid-twenties, but I've noticed society targets alot towards my age range about kids.
And even though I'm past the whole 16 and pregnant hoopla, I still get ads targeted to me about kids.
Maybe it's because I follow some bloggers that recently had babies.
I don't know.

But it needs to stop.
And Moms (and some Dads) need to realize something: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR CHILD EXCEPT FOR YOU.
Don't get me wrong, I'll 'like' a cute baby picture. Or even be excited for you when you announce you're expecting.

But don't expect me to LOVE your child as much as you do. It's not my responsibility.
Heck, it's not even my responsibility to want to be around your child. 
Especially when they're screaming and being obnoxious in a public place.

See what I mean? Annoying as crap, even to look at. via

Some of you might be thinking:
"Kim, that's so mean! How can you think like that!?!"
First answer: because it's America and I can. 
Second answer: because I don't have to like children, or even want them.
Nothing ever in the history of the world says I have to like children.

And I guess the title of this post should be children, not babies.
Because I like babies. I like newborns and infants.
Once they reach about 1 1/2 - 2 years old until 6th grade, I CANNOT stand children.
There's just something about toddlers/early elementary kids that annoys me.
And makes me want to Lysol everything I see.

Really America? They're just going to POO in it.... via

Getting back to society: 
Why, at 22, must I be pressured to have children?
I don't even have a boyfriend. At 22, I'm focused on my career. And my cat.
(Crazy cat lady alert)
I'm at the age where I shouldn't want children.
Not only do I not want children right now, I guarantee most men my age don't want them either.
Which should make me more dateable, but alas....

Maybe this all stems from working at Toys-R-Us for 4 years.
I became de-sensitized to children, and resented them.
Or maybe I do like kids and I just hate parents/modern parenting.
I don't know, but for now, I'm just going to go with I do not like children.

Yes, there are those select few girls that are on their second or third child.
And maybe that's their life plan. I'm not judging, I don't care.
But stop making me think I should be "settling down".
Just stop.


What are your thoughts on children?
If you have kids, did you feel pressured to have them (c'mon, answer honestly...)?
Do you think there's ridiculous pressure about liking and having children/babies?


2 comments:

  1. You.Are.Amazing!

    I wrote a post like this about a year ago, and I could have written this myself. I am 29, so older than you, but since I was in my early to mid 20's have felt the pressure of the whole baby/kid thing.

    People expect to show you their kid, or bring their kids around and for you to drop what you're doing and go 'goo goo ga ga' over them, like they have. I see children as little people, they are people after all, and are little. Some kids can be cool, but not all of them. I also hate the not so subtle, 'isn't he/she cute'? No, it's not cute, it's loud and poopy and messy and touching my stuff!

    The pressure is ridiculous! I am in a serious relationship, and I love it! I love being able to do what I want without the worry of babysitters, kids being sick, etc. I love it. I guess some of us don't feel like we need to have children to be validated as women.

    The last thing I will say is this, the Americans aren't as bad as the Brits. Here in England there is an obsession with children! It's insane. A lot of times when you see a woman with kids you don't know if it's the Mother or Grandmother, sadly it ends up being the Mother, but that's a whole other topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, if you ever have a child of your own you are going to think a little differently;) Its in our nature to be instantly bonded with our own children. (thankfully or we would have lots of problems) I didn't necessarily love other peoples kids before I had my own. I don't think that would be natural.
    As a mother though, I understood things so differently once I had my first son. I do sense a growing intolerance in public when my child dares lets out a wale.
    You definately shouldn't feel pressured to settle down - it is a beautiful thing when it happens naturally and everyone has a different time. But maybe for your friends who do have children, just a little tolerance and support is all you need to show. It does help us a great deal when our friends don't give off the "I can't stand your children vibe." ;)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)