If everyone had to be classified under a sport/athleticism, I would call myself a runner. Before I go any further, I want you to go back and read that sentence. I'll wait.
Read it? Good. Because by no means am I saying that right now I can run a marathon. Or even get under an 8 minute mile. Because my mile is at like 12:30. Which in the running world is terrible.
But I love running. And hate running. I love how hard I breathe when I run, how much I sweat. I hate how much I breathe and sweat when I run. I love feeling like I could collapse at any moment; I hate that I could collapse at any moment. Without going further, you get my point - it's a love-hate relationship. Because let's be honest folks; running was the first sport ever created. Man ran before he built fire. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
But I love running. And hate running. I love how hard I breathe when I run, how much I sweat. I hate how much I breathe and sweat when I run. I love feeling like I could collapse at any moment; I hate that I could collapse at any moment. Without going further, you get my point - it's a love-hate relationship. Because let's be honest folks; running was the first sport ever created. Man ran before he built fire. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Why do I have this relationship with running? Well, it all started in middle school. I signed up to be on the Cross Country team. And going into 7th grade, I had a good amount of baby fat. Cut to the end of 7th grade/XC season - I still finished last in all the races, but I was skinny as crap. Seriously. I don't remember my actual weight, but I know I was probably in the 'Normal' BMI range.
Google Image Search: This isn't from my team, but this is what a race looks like
And then I got into college.
Freshman 15? More like Freshman 50. Seriously. I rarely exercised. And by rarely, I mean once in like six months. And then I got my tonsils out, which led to me losing 30 pounds from starving myself, not by choice. I really couldn't even ingest Popsicle without BAWLING in pain. I was on a water diet. Then I gained it all back plus more.
So this is where I am now. Realizing that I really miss running. I wish so badly I didn't live in the crappiest climate ever, so running outside could be more enjoyable. No excuses.
Running for me is an escape. I never think about anything when I run (aside from breathing properly and putting one foot in front of the other and watching for hazards if I'm on a trail). The best part of running, aside from the healthy/exercise benefits, is that you could listen to a whole album and know you got a decent workout in which should be 45ish minutes. Or if you're on a treadmill, you can watch a whole TV episode.
Running for me is an escape. I never think about anything when I run (aside from breathing properly and putting one foot in front of the other and watching for hazards if I'm on a trail). The best part of running, aside from the healthy/exercise benefits, is that you could listen to a whole album and know you got a decent workout in which should be 45ish minutes. Or if you're on a treadmill, you can watch a whole TV episode.
And this brings me to my pro-con debate on the three T's of running: treadmills, track, and trails.
(I'm counting 5k/marathon courses and any road running in trails)
Treadmills

Google Image Search
Like I mentioned before, I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Which is in the Northeast region of the US. Which is COLD. Lately, we've had global warming induced warm days, but for the most part this time of year doesn't get above the freezing mark (32F). I want to add, that I am a poor college student. I can't afford the fancy $5,718,571 UnderArmour even when it does go on clearance and is down to $53,151. (Obviously not real numbers) Which means my cold weather running gear is layers of old tshirts and long sleeve tshirts, sweatpants/yoga leggings from Wal*Mart, a free head wrap from my school. And no gloves. Because I don't own a pair of gloves that I would want to sweat in.
This is where treadmills are my bff. I really enjoy running on a treadmill. You're in a controlled temperature environment with your water bottle right next to you and a TV/iPad to watch. You can get off and pee if you need to. You can set your speed, track your pace, see calories burned, put a workout in, control the incline & speed. It's a pretty awesome invention. And at least at my gym, they're always packed. I love feeling the sweat pouring off my face as I'm running on it. I can breathe pretty decently.
But they're enablers, just like (hypothetically) you giving money to an alcoholic to buy you and them liquor from the store - chances are you won't get your liquor or money back. You're transferring all the responsibility to a machine. You aren't actually making yourself move forward. You're running in the same spot, hoping to not get knocked over by the belt moving under your feet so you don't become a YouTube sensation.
I see so many people WALKING on them at the gym. SERIOUSLY!? If you're just going to walk, why even get on it? Do you not see me busting my A** sweating pools on a 2 incline at a 5.0 pace (that's probably really slow for some accomplished runners, whatever)!?!? I can walk outside in the cold. I don't mind walking in the cold. You are not getting anything out of your workout if you're walking on a treadmill. Sorry, but you aren't.
If you plan on actually pushing yourself on a treadmill, they're amazing. Especially if you live somewhere perpetually cold or an area that's too dangerous to run in (city, ghetto.. whatever).
Track
Google Image Search
Track running. Ugh. You make it so easy for me to know exactly how much I've run depending on how many times I've gone around you. But you also make me want to light you on fire. I personally am not a fan of track running, aside from doing warmups (or sprints/hurdles). The track wasn't designed for long distance running. I'll explain why.
This principle goes the same for treadmills, but you can supply yourself with "distractions". You aren't actually going anywhere on a track. One big circle. Over. And over. And over. And over. There is no motivation to do better (unless you're competing or running with a friend), the scenery rarely changes. Once I reach the end of the 1st 100 straightaway, I know there is a curve. And on the other side of the fence are baseball fields. Woo. Like I said, same for treadmills. You're always looking at the same point. Straight ahead. (Which you shouldn't be looking around while running, but you know what I mean)
Track running is great for intensity running, as in sprints. Typically, if your track is legit, the surface is recycled rubber which is pretty good for your legs/feet/body. There isn't as much pressure, you get some 'bounce' (you never actually feel it) and if it's maintained, it's the same flat surface without holes and cracks.
Trails
Google Image Search
If you couldn't figure it out by now, this is my favorite one. Trail running really challenges your body. You have to mentally evaluate your surroundings/terrain and adapt. Your muscles have to adapt. Your breathing adapts. Which makes your heart beat faster. Which makes you work harder. Not to mention if you are seriously paying attention to where you are, you can find some pretty cool stuff. (If you're on a wooded trail/in a park.)
Trail running is most beneficial when the weather conditions are ideal. And by ideal, I mean above 50F. Or 40. It just depends on what you define as ideal. It isn't smart to go run on a trail that hasn't been maintained since summer or that has ice patches all over it. It isn't smart to go trail running at night or real early morning, unless you're road "trail" running in a residential area or somewhere with lights. Trail running should always be your first choice, in my opinion.
Trails in the sense of roadways are a little more difficult. It takes a lot more focus to watch out for cars, other people, cracks, holes, etc. Concrete and pavement are very unforgiving for your legs. It's a hard surface. Every step your body has to try and absorb that shock. Which is why injuries happen (if you aren't careful/stretch enough).
You have to watch out for branches, creatures, mud puddles, increases/decreases in terrain, etc. while doing wooded trail running, but you're always seeing something different, even if you do loops of your same path. There may be a bird that wasn't there before. Or another runner you can muster out a "hey!" for, if you can. You can slow your pace down if you know a hill is approaching and surge up the hill, you can run along a beautiful creek/river/etc.
However, trail running can turn bad. What if you pull a muscle or break a bone/leg in the middle of some backwoods trail? Or get hit by a car/bicyclist? How will someone find you? Especially if you left your phone in your car? You better hope to God/whatever higher power you believe in that you are running with your smartphone. And you better hope that smartphone gets service where you are. What if you get lost? Again, hope you have a smartphone that can locate you/has GPS! And what if you slip, don't injure yourself but end up in a huge mud puddle/river/other body of water/disgustingness? You better hope you didn't bring your smartphone, or else it's ruined and you're a mess (unless it was in a waterproof case).
Basically, each T has positives and negatives. Of course, you probably won't agree with my theories. And that's okay. But you can't argue running is bad for you. Because its one of the best exercises out there. The motivation to get out there and run is all yours. I can't inspire you, no one really can. It has to come from within.
What would be your sport/athleticism? Let me know in the comments!
*This post is part of my new Thursday Thoughts. I promise, like my other series I will try to post as much as possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)