Being confident.
Recently at work, I volunteered decided to take on more responsibility I've been here ~9 months, so I figured I have a pretty good handle on how things work & our processes/procedures. And while I'm excited, I'm scared as hell.
I think it's pretty natural when starting anything new to be nervous and scared - that way you know you're still alive & functioning! Of course I'm afraid of failure/failing, that's human nature. But I realized something over the past few weeks...
I fail at something almost everyday.
Easiest example? Waking up early and going to the gym. Fail.
Coming into the office at a consistent time each day. Mostly Fail.
Eating a healthy lunch. Yep, fail.
* - In my defense, my lunch today was from Moe's, which has real ingredients.
So HA. Somewhat healthy!
But I have confidence in my skills and smarts to be able to do my job. I've never gone into anything in my life assuming it will work out fine. My life is like a bell curve. There's an acceptable amount of failure built in on each end.
So where does this confidence come from? In this case, I think it's mostly from my educational background. I know I graduated from a good school where I learned so much - from the classes, my internships and even from professors, other students and staff in the IT department. I may or may not know what's going on in a meeting, but I'll write it down and research it later.
Plus, taking on more responsibility is fun to me. I'd rather be running like a chicken with its head cut off than just sitting around doing nothing (at work that is - at home, different story!).
Do you openly take on new projects/responsibilities?
Or do you wait until someone throws it at you & take care of it head on?



No comments:
Post a Comment
Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)