us

11.08.2012

Thankful Thursdays - Health

In this week's installment of Thankful Thursdays,
I want to be thankful for something that's insanely important.



My health

After losing both Grandmothers earlier this year due to heart conditions (one was entirely too sudden and the other was a continuous illness), I've been really thinking about my health.
I've taken my health for granted for a long time.
I usually only get sick twice a year, and it's mostly self-inflicted from stress.

And I'll admit something - I'm overweight. I know I am.
No secret, if you look at me you can tell that. Moving on.

via
I'm on the left, my friend Tracy is on the right.
Guy with the awesome wig & expression is awesome.

I ran my first 5k since middle school two weeks ago. And I actually finished!
My time was 38:50. For those that run regularly, that's a pretty terrible time.
And if you feel that way: stop reading right now. Don't even consider commenting.
I'm not a natural runner. I didn't train as much as I should have.
But I beat my goal of finishing under 45 minutes. So go me.
I didn't go to the gym the week after the race, and that's terrible.

There are many illnesses & diseases that run in my family, from both sides.
Being healthy and in shape is ridiculously important for me to fend those off.
But I have a huge sweet tooth. Like insanely huge.
It's a constant battle between my head and the $1 Deluxe Kroger pint of ice cream.
You probably can relate to this.

One thing I'm noticing is that health insurance costs suck. They really do.
Coming out of college, I didn't know the differences in insurance plans.
Or even what a deductible really meant.
Cut to now, and I'm very well aware.
Now in open enrollment, I've changed my plan to not only be more affordable but better if I do get sick.

You don't realize how much your health matters until you're on your own.
And you can only depend on yourself to go places and get things done.


What are you thankful for? 
Link up here!

Thankful Thursdays




No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)