us

11.05.2013

NaNoWriMo Week #1

Guys. What did I do? I got in way over my head is what I did. I'm not a professional writer. I am a lover of books, yes. But to be on the other side of it? SO much harder. I mean, I knew it would be hard. I'm not an idiot.

Not only did I start writing without a formal outline (just some thoughts in my head and notes written in various notebooks/Evernote), but it's also day 5, which means I should be around 8,000 words. I'm at 3,000. D'OH.

I started sketching out an outline based on what I have written so far and where I want it to go. I think if I sit down and just start writing and writing, I can get caught up by the end of this week. I've also discovered that at least for this novel, it's turning into a YA/sci-fi/semi-romance novel? Is that even a genre? Clearly this book will not get published. Who knows if in December I'll even go back and edit it.

But I can't think about that now. Right now I need to focus on getting my story on paper (the screen, actually) and just let all my ideas get out there. As promised, I have a little snippet for you to read. This is actually the small section I wrote for the NaNoWriMo site, but I think it's still the best I've written so far.


"I just don't get it," I said to him as we were waiting to board the Metro, "you have everything you could possibly need and MORE. Why not tap out now and retire to a private island with a harem of women? ..Or.. are you..."
"NO. I am most definitely straight thank you. Not like I have an issue with homosexuality, I just prefer the female form... a lot." The way his breath lingered on that last word sent chills up my spine. I didn't get it. I wasn't attracted to the disheveled hipster rich boy type. Why was he driving me nuts!? "Anyway Vanessa, I just like being successful. One more small little acquisition of an insignificant startup isn't going to even make a blip on the radar in New York. That's just one less Oktoberfest party we can have this fall. But the ROI is insane. We can rack in so much using their source code. And now I see I'm boring you."
"No, no, I actually really like the world of technology. I just was never allowed to study it. Before my Dad died, he made me promise to study Literature and Philosophy regardless of what anyone said about me not getting a job."
I could see Carlin rolling his eyes. What a freakin' hipster. Ugh. 'DING' "TRAIN 5423 IS NOW BOARDING FOR CHICAGO, ILLINOIS." We both spring up and grab our bags. No matter what anyone says, when you have to board public transportation everyone turns into a 5th grader who wants the best seat, avoiding the bullies or the kids who smell. Although it was pretty obvious we were going to get very cozy over the next 18 hours.

"Okay, different topic. Why do you want to help me figure this thing out anyway? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the ending, based on what we've found so far. It has to deal with my Dad and he wasn't the most... fun person."
"Let's just say I'm really bored and really rich. If this bottoms out, I can just write it off on my taxes as volunteering and donating to the criminally insane. Which reminds me, try and save all your receipts please."

I'm pretty sure that was a jab at my intelligence, although I refuse to acknowledge it or his "sarcasm" with a response. I throw my purse on the seat near the window, put my duffle in the box above our heads and immediately put my earbuds in and put on Rihanna, just loud enough so he gets the picture I'm not in the mood to talk.


Now excuse me while I furiously scribble out the rest of my outline by noon. Any tips for me? Prayers are also accepted, that I get through this month without a mental breakdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)