us

11.18.2013

Happy JT Day!!

Yes, it is in fact now a recognized day in the city of Memphis that November 18 is Justin Timberlake Day. SQUEEE!! I only found this out tonight while watching the news and I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't hear about it earlier so I could go downtown for the proclamation ceremony. Justin is performing tonight at the FedEx Forum and sadly, I won't be in attendance.
I went to his Legends of the Summer Tour w/ Jay-Z back in August with my sister (it was incredible, by the way..) and I think if I saw him twice in one year my brain would explode and melt out of my ears and eyes (pretty picture, yes?). Let's just say that I've been listening to all of his songs on repeat all day and TKO is definitely on my running playlist for the St. Jude Grizzlies House 5K. :)



There are real moments, and many moments, where I start thinking about how much I don't like it here. I'll be honest with you - Memphis is not, and will never be, my forever home. I was born and raised in the same house in Pittsburgh until I moved here, so naturally I can't feel that special connection to the 901. But then I hear about JT Day, buy a limited edition Wiseacre Brewing shirt from Choose 901 or I hang out in Midtown and I'm reminded that just like Pittsburgh, Memphis has it's really great parts. Sure, there's a shooting or robbery or something at least everyday here and sure, I have no family or any friends, let alone close friends here. But I've been here over a year and I've survived. I'm involved at my church. I'm an advisor over my sorority's chapter at Arkansas State and I'm on my sorority's alumnae committee for our Think Pink Luncheon (which, if you're in Memphis you should totally go to... click the link for more info, wink wink).




I think overall one of my favorite phrases is "Bloom Where You Are Planted" and at this point in my life, it 100% applies to me. I've always strived to be the best at whatever I'm doing because I hate people who tell me I can't or won't be the best. At work I've hit a little slump, but when I saw that phrase posted on Levo League's Facebook today I got a surge of passion again. I may not be where I want to be geographically, professionally, etc. yet, but I need to be the best at what & where I am now so I can get to where I want to be.


How are you celebrating JT Day?
Are you happy with the city you live in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)