us

8.22.2013

out of the [box].

I mentioned it before, but I'm taking the Dale Carnegie class right now. And I like going to class and learning more about me and people and how I communicate with other people. It's fun, lets me get to network with some people at my company and I always leave feeling better about myself.

But I'm really struggling with the speeches we have to give each week. They're only 2 minutes long, and we have to draw from professional experiences (the class is designed I think more for experienced professionals, not young ones like me) and it's really, really difficult for me to come up with my speech each week.

This week's speech has us retelling an experience and being very animated in our speech. We have to draw from an athletic event or another physical activity. And if you know me.... you know I'm not a super physical/athletic person. Any "events" that have happened to me athletically haven't been ones that are really all that interesting where I can animate myself.

It's so hard to think outside the box for this class, but I get that's the whole point. I've been through a lot in my 23 years, but a) none of it is anything I want to share with a group of strangers (I've still only known them for 5 weeks) b) fits into the mold of the speeches we're suppose to give.

Honestly, I spent all morning searching through tons of YouTube videos to try and get stories of other people that I can just watch/memorize and repeat. Yes, plagiarism. But also acting. Don't worry, I was able to come up with my own idea/experience.... so I just drew inspiration from those videos. I didn't steal. :)

How do you get out of your box?
Do you draw inspiration from others or just sit and hope for the best?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)