The problem with relocating to a new city is that you can't just go to the leasing office of an apartment complex and talk to them face to face. You have to call (which I hate doing. I hate talking on the phone, weird, right?) and email several times to figure out what is going on.
I emailed one complex Friday asking about availability. They had one open, so I figured I'd call today, Monday, and set up an appointment to see it. NOPE. Turns out just like in home buying, in renting you need to be QUICK. The woman said all the 1 bedroom apartments were full for 6 months and had a wait list - but the 2 bedroom floorplans were available! (Which are close to $1000 a month. Sorry, I can't afford that by myself..)
So I went searching for a new apartment community. And I've found two, one as my main focus and the other as backup. The problem with the second is that to do the online application, you need proof of income. To have proof of income, you need a paycheck. To have a paycheck, you need to be working. And I'm not (working) yet, for another week. So my proof of income isn't here until July 1.
Anyways, just keep your fingers crossed for me that I can place an application in to reserve a unit and things will work out.

Deep breaths. Deep, deep breaths.
good luck :) everything happens for a reason- I'm sure you will find the perfect one :)
ReplyDeleteI know renting is brutal now and when I rented it just wasn't. I found an apartment in the paper in my price range, looked at it, signed papers and handed over money. Now I have heard of people doing credit checks and background checks and a million things that they don't even do when you buy a home. It's insane.
ReplyDeleteAnd to make you feel better- I hate talking on the phone as well. I don't know why, I just do.