This book review is about a month past due, but I hope you can excuse it due to the fact I've lost both Grandmothers in one month and graduated from college.

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin via
I've seen various other blog book clubs reading this, heard some general buzz online and saw it was a NYT Bestseller, so I figured I'd give it a shot. When I told my friends I was reading it (and that a few chapters in, it was good), they asked the quintessential question: 'Are you sad?', 'Do you really need to read about being happy?' and my favorite - 'Do you need antidepressants?'
I am none of the above. I would say, just like Rubin, that I am a happy person. Of course I have moments that make me twitchy and if it was socially acceptable, I'd probably curse out most people I know. But overall, I'd say I'm happy. I have a roof over my head, loving family members, food on my plate every night and I'm college educated. So why could I possibly need to read about being happier?
I suppose it's just my nature, being a Gemini, but I love knowing a little about everything. I'm definitely a technical person, so I know a lot about computers/technology, but I enjoy knowing about business and medicine and music, etc. I felt that in reading this book, through Rubin's research, I gained more knowledge about the research of happiness.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
"Third Splendid Truth: The days are long but the years are short."
"Act the way I want to feel."
This aligns with one of my favorite quotes, by Socrates - "Be as you wish to seem"
"It is easy to be heavy; hard to be light."
"Remember, friends, as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I.
As I am now, so you must be.
Prepare yourself to follow me.
- Eighteenth-century epitaph"
My YiaYia had a phrase that says this in less words, same meaning. One of my favorites;
"When you are, I have been. Where I am, you will be."
Of course, the book isn't all sunshine and rainbows. She's married, living in a fancy NYC apartment with two children - something I have no relation to. So when she would write/have sections on being happier towards her children and husband... I won't lie, I kind of skipped over those. Not that it wouldn't be good to read and have the future knowledge for when I get there eventually, but I'm not evening dating someone right now. So marriage/children are the furthest thing from my mind.
There's also the issue on how she lives in NYC in a prime address apartment. I've heard some criticism on how some people viewed this book as her being bored and needing a hobby (writing). Other reviews said "how is she suppose to understand what unhappiness is if she's never lost a job, had to scrape up money for a child's doctors appointment or lost a child?" I don't read that from her text. I mean, I get their point. And although I've never had any of those above^ experiences and I don't live in NYC, I'd say I'm well-off. So maybe that's why I don't see it.
Overall, I think this is a good read. It helped me be able to recognize what actually makes me happy, not what I wish made me happy (also a quote in the book!). I've realized I don't need a luxury car or to live by the beach to make me happy (although it wouldn't hurt or make me unhappy...). I have great things with me now. This book has also helped me realize that when I move, everything that makes me happy isn't leaving. I'm leaving it. I need to remember to take that happy with me and spread it to new people I meet.
After reading this, I was in the mood for more "self-help" type books so I purchased MWF seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche which is about one woman's search for a new best friend in her new city - something I'll be needing to do soon! (Review of that coming probably next week, stay tuned!)
Go here to follow Gretchen Rubin on Twitter.
Did you read this? What did you think of it? After reading my review, would you buy this book?
Leave some recommendations for new books for me (does not have to fit along the self-help genre)!
I enjoyed reading this post,a lot of time and effort. Much appreciated! I'm very interested in reading this book myself.
ReplyDelete