So you remember how I said a while back my New Years Resolution was to lose weight. And I said I'd work out 3-5 times a week?
I remember too. And by now, I wanted to be 30 pounds lighter.
Welp. I've lost one pound in 4 months. I haven't given up on that resolution - I'm still trying. Mostly with diet (some days). It's really hard, especially when I live with my family who are all sugar addicts.
To be honest (and I'm not trying to make excuses, but if you can't understand these reasons, you need to find compassion somewhere), it's been a hard year. My Yia-Yia was in and out of the hospital for about two months, the whole time we weren't sure if she was going to make it (she's doing much better now, no worries!). My Grandmother passed away three weeks ago, very suddenly. I just got done with my last semester taking 6 classes (I still have 3 this summer + working full-time).
It hasn't been the easiest as far as exercise has been concerned. I have been doing some weight exercises with my 5lb hand weights each night in my room, just to get something in (next to my belly, my arms are my major problem area). And as far as diet, yes, I could have made healthier choices. I could have, should have and would have - but I never live in the past. So screw that.
Starting today, the end of April, I'm vowing to make an easy change.
Walk (or run) at least one mile every day.
Not that hard right? The only obstacle I see to this is the weather - I live in the most miserable climate on earth where it is sunny and in the 80s one day and 34 and snowing the next, quite literally.
This week it's suppose to rain all week, so even if I have to wear my rainboots and walk with an umbrella, I need to get it in.
Starting my full-time big girl job in a few weeks means I'll have access to a free gym (the building I'm in here has weight equipment and cardio machines). Last summer when I worked in that building I would get into work early so I could be done around 4 and so I could get a 40 minute workout done at the end of the day. This was good, because after I was done with my workout I could just head straight home and relax.
Statistically, they say it's better to workout in the morning to get your blood flowing, but I am more of a morning person (at least when I interned the past two summers - during school I'm up super late at night). I liked getting into the office, getting started on my work, "working" through lunch and getting done quick after lunch.
The team I'll be working with however, is in CST, which is an hour behind (I'm in EST) so this may not be possible (except Thursdays, I have a night class Thursday I need to be out of the office for by 5 [class starts at 6]). But I'll work everything out with my boss and team when it comes to that!
Do you have any health/fitness tips for me? Aside from counting calories, have any "dietary restrictions" helped you? Send any workouts my way! :)
Wow that's gotta be weird working in CST when your in EST, but the fact that you will have a free gym is awesome! I would totally if I were you keep gym clothes in your bag and work out at least twice a week after work.
ReplyDeleteTwo big changes I did that I actually could see a change in my diet, (I've been trying to lose 15 pounds for the past 5 months but only have yo-yoed 5 pounds up & down) I got a pedometer for my office job to see that I'm actually walking around more than I thought & I don't eat anything from a bag...I remove the Skittles from it's package so I can see how many eat, I pour out tortilla chips so I don't eat a countless #, um...and I have an apple, orange or a grapefruit for one snack a day!
Good luck w/ the diet and your new job!!
Lemanie's Randomness Blog
My weight is like a yo-yo [especially after the baby], but what always gets me the most motivated, is doing a 3 or 5 day 'detox' just to get things started. The last one I tried was a shake detox that you drink every morning for 5 days just to help get rid of bloating/waste. But it feels good to step on the scale after that period and see a couple of pounds less! That gets me pumped to do more on my own.
ReplyDeleteI've heard cutting out sugar works wonders!
ReplyDeletePark in the farthest spot away from wherever you're going... it's a little thing that makes a big difference. If you're not pressed for time when going to classes, do the same thing on campus - get a far parking spot and walk across campus to your classes.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator, and find a workout buddy... Seriously - the workout buddy is the thing that works the best, because on those days where the last thing you want to do is work out, you have that person to hold you accountable.