Is it just me, or when you tell people you're doing something new and different they freak out?
I've come across this a lot lately when I've told people I'm relocating for my job. The reviews were mixed among family members that I saw (some for the first time, or first time since I was a baby) at the viewings/funeral last week. Some of them went "GOOD FOR YOU! There is nothing around here, this area is terrible for jobs.."
And some went "OMG how could you leave your parents!?! Couldn't you find a job here!?!?"
NO, I couldn't. If you didn't know, I applied to around 23-25 jobs before I was offered the current one I will start in less than a month (eek!). I either heard nothing, got an auto generated rejection email even before an interview, got an interview with HR, progressed to interviews with managers... then a rejection or nothing. So if I rejected this offer, who knows how long it would take to get a position.
And I'm super grateful that I was offered this job. I will try everything to not screw it up, seriously. Most people I know can't get a job (partially because they picked terrible majors and part because the job market sucks). It's not like I didn't try to get a job around here, because believe me - my 5 year plan was to live at home and pay off all my student loans and then relocate. But God had different plans for me, which I accept.
So why are most people so adverse to change? Is it just the area I'm from? A lot of people (older people, senior citizens) still think the steel mills are coming back to our area/America. News flash: they never will. This means our whole area (Western PA/Pittsburgh) is a depressed area.
I drive by some neighborhoods and homes and wonder what the people do that live in these areas/homes. They're really nice and we don't have the employment to support such a high living standard - we just don't.
Don't get me wrong, there are many job openings in Pittsburgh (obviously, I applied to most of the tech ones!) - they just require experience some people (including myself) don't have (yet).
via Facebook
But why is it so hard to believe a young, single girl can move away from home and start a new life? I don't hate my current life; I love my family and friends. It's going to be so hard to move away from them, but I can always come back.
I don't hate Pittsburgh either! This is, and always will be, my favorite city on Earth. Our landscape is beautiful and the City of Pittsburgh is incredible.
Do you face this adversity to change where you live? If you moved away from your hometown, did people think you "hated" your life?

honnnnney, this is the story of my life right now. i dropped out of college in january because i realized it wasn't for me...after 5 years of trying. so join the club of change! : ) and good for you. looking forward to your updates!
ReplyDeletechange can be your best friend. good luck.
ReplyDeleteI think people freak out when people have opportunities like this because it makes them wonder what they would do. And most people would be scared shitless to move away from family and what they know, and the fact that you are embracing this and running with it shows you are going to get the most out of life. Seriously. Go get it and love every minute of it. :)
ReplyDelete