us

12.23.2011

Friday Life Lessons: Stress & Holiday Edition

So sorry I didn't post a life lesson last week, but this week's will tie in with it. Because lets face it. Christmas is in 2 days. And I know you're stressed.

Google Image Search

I've been stressed over it since before Thanksgiving, because I have no money to buy people presents. And I know that's not what the holidays are about - I'm an Orthodox Christian, I believe in God and Jesus and love that baby Jesus came this time of year (incorrect - it was July). BUT I know most of you have been in this position - you'd just like to be able to buy gifts for the ones in your life that have done so much for you throughout the year, like your parents. And I can't even afford to do that. So since I still live at home, I've been devoting my free time (aside from applying to big girl jobs) to cleaning and baking so my parents have more time to do whatever they need to do.

Before I go further into talking about stress... can I just get an Amen sista! for the fact that Christmas seriously rushed on us this year? Christmas is my favorite (not sarcasm) holiday! And yet, I feel like it isn't Christmastime. I think most of it has to do with the fact that here (in Pittsburgh) it has snowed maybe 5 times since Thanksgiving, and not enough to stick because of how warm it's been. I would love to live in a warm climate all year round, but living here in Pittsburgh for my whole life has conditioned me to believe that snow = Christmas/holidays.

Holy Warm Weather Batman!


How do you folks, that live in warmer climates (I'm jealous) get in the festive spirit for the holidays??

Stress.
I wanted to post this topic last week, because it was finals week. And I was dealing with a serious case of stress. For real. Pretty sure I was PMSing too, so that totally had everything to do with it. But if you went to college, I can assume you can relate. I had 2 group projects, 2 tests and one HUGE paper to write. They were all due by Wednesday morning/afternoon. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Obviously I survived, and got my first 4.0 EVER! Yes, ever. I actually have to work really hard to get good grades - not a natural genius (shocking.. I know!!). 

A friend asked me (while finally breaking away from studying/working to have dinner) "How are you so stressed but so calm at the same time?" Well let me tell you (my blogging friends), the secret to my success is not meditation, sipping tea.. blah blah etc. It's killing virtual people/characters in video games.

Google Image Search

I know most women do not enjoy video games that are violent or the fact that their boyfriend/fiance/husband plays them for HOURS on end. But seriously ladies, you need to try playing them sometime. No joke. There is no better feeling than finally killing a dragon that took you 2 hours to even get to or killing some guy who is sh*t talking you for being a girl over XBL (Xbox Live). Maybe your boyfriend/fiance/husband wouldn't view you as uptight if you let out aggression virtually, instead of on him. And you'd probably get more points in the bedroom... just saying.

But for those that don't care at all about video games, the traditional stress releving techniques are pretty good too. After video games, my next favorite would have to be working out. I made myself schedule time out of my study schedule to do Zumba on the Kinect. Some people say it's not actually working out and to them I say... Go do a 45 minute workout on HARD. Then tell me it isn't a workout. 

Google Image Search

Of course there's a plethora of websites out there that can give you more stress releiving techniques that are tailored to what you enjoy doing, so just head on over to Google.com and search it up. Those two are just my favorites.

I hope everyone can stay sane throughout the holidays with last-minute gift buying and in-laws and other family drama. Never forget the real reason for the season, in whatever you believe in!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)