us

12.04.2013

sh-sh-shakin'

The 5k is this Saturday. I'm nervous. I know, a 5k. Whatever. Everyone does them. But my last 5k was last year. I've walked two since then, but haven't run them. And I haven't been training. Because running is hard. Okay, not fundamentally. Everyone can run - with the exception of those who are handicapped, yes - but it's training to have endurance and technique with hitting your strides and breathing and blah blah blah is hard.

I ran Cross Country back in middle school until I broke my wrist (I was in a cast up past my elbow and my orthopedic doctor said it probably wasn't smart to try and run), and ever since then I've turned into a lazy slob. I was never fast or good at running - not even kidding, I came in last or close to last every race I ran, but I enjoyed it. In high school I was on the Track & Field team but I decided I would be better at the throwing events, which actually I was - my Junior year I was ranked 2nd on our team in Discus and got to go to the WPIALS finals where I placed 3rd overall in the Women's Discus. I miss throwing sometimes. :(


Anyways. Back to the topic. Guys, I'm nervous. I'm excited. I'm anxious. I know as soon as that gun goes off I'll be able to run with adrenaline and get to the finish eventually. But it's that in between that's going to really test me. I know there'll be TONS of people along the route cheering everyone on, which forces me to keep running, but it's going to be cold. Like, maybe in the upper 20's in the morning (the high is only suppose to be around 35 for the day). And my lungs hate the cold. I'm all prepared with sweater lined leggings, a cold gear long sleeve shirt as my core, a fleece/cold weather running zip up, a headband to keep my ears warm & my earbuds in and running gloves. 

I'm worried about crying too. What? Crying. First of all, it is Shark Week for me which is just awesome (TMI?), but the course takes us right through the St. Jude campus. Even if I don't see kids waving from the windows, I'm still going to get super emotional and just start crying for the rest of the race. People are going to think I'm emotionally unstable (which may or may not be true..).

Le sigh. Just pray that I don't get hurt and/or come in dead last. Also, I have a vlog up for Vlogmas Day 3 and I need some running song suggestions! Go watch it and let me know your favorites. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unicorns and narwhals will dance over a rainbow of sunshine and candy kisses if you leave me a comment. :)