Much to my parents disapproval, I've lived on the internet since I was about 7-8 years old.
I knew the dial-up tones and the sounds it made when it just wasn't going to connect.
I remember when MTV had a chatroom on their website, and sometimes it wasn't full of perverts.
I use to hang out there after school and made some legit friends.
Sigh, I miss you early 2000's.
This is from August 15, 2000. Holy crappy HTML.
I love the Wayback Machine :)
Lately, I've been noticing a rash of bloggers, vloggers (video+bloggers) and other Internet folk "taking a break" from the Internet.
When you have fans from your work on the Internet (not porn... sheesh guys!), you feel a certain duty to them to always post original content.
And sadly, most of the internet isn't as understanding when they decide to take a break as, I am for instance.
They'll troll the content that is up, saying "why haven't you posted!?!?! You're selling out on us!! You forgot about us!!'
In a way, the Internet/its users are the overly attached girlfriend.
But in a society where content is king and on demand content is basically God, it's really hard to keep posting every. Single. Day.
I have a very small following here (thank you, love you guys<3!), but even I feel a pang of guilt when I don't post in a week or even a few days.
It's hard to create a balance between the Internet, family & friends and work.
It's also difficult, if your work isn't your online activities (blogging, vlogging, writer, etc..), to balance what content you post with the respect to your employer.
Social media can both create and destroy careers.
It's really important to recognize when you need a break, before you have a complete burnout.
I follow the people I do because I enjoy what they post, but I also respect the fact that they are human.
I wish more people understood that and gave them a day or two off!
No, I didn't write this because I'm taking a break.
Much the opposite! I have a whole notebook with ideas scribbled down in it.
Do you ever feel worn out & need a break?
How do you deal with it? Are your readers/fans supportive?
I feel like this all the time. But then it's like an addiction that I just can't quit.
ReplyDelete