This quote is very fitting for the movie and Mark Zuckerberg's vision for Facebook. via imgfav.com
So it's only fitting that I discuss The Social Network. I won tickets through a local radio station (96.1 Kiss FM) via Twitter (epic win!) for the screening in Pittsburgh Tuesday night. I'm going to address this now, so there's no confusion. I LOVED the movie. It's easily ranked in my Top 5 movies of all time. Mostly because I'm a tech person and I fall in love with things like this, but also because it was done very well.
Now, Mr. Oliver Chiang of Forbes.com has written this article on the movie. And I think he plays everyone for a fool. Yes sir, we know it isn't going to be factually correct. No movie that has ever been done is factually correct, unless it's a legitimate documentary. But almost every person that is going to see this movie knows it isn't exactly how Facebook got started. Do you honestly think movie goers are that ignorant?
With all that being said, I found the movie to be appealing to the masses. My sister came with me and she is not a tech person at all, but she enjoyed it. The whole plot of the movie (and of Facebook, ignoring the lawsuits) is that a man had an idea and pursued it for a goal to connect people, which is what Facebook does. So what if Mark Zuckerberg is portrayed as an asshole and so what if there's rampant drug use in the movie... do you see celebrities today? This is the societal norm. Yeah, Mark Zuckerberg may be a rude and different person, but it doesn't mean he hasn't created an site that has changed history.
I do think the PG-13 rating of the movie should be rated R, because there is girls smoking a bong and people doing lines of coke.. not to mention the bathroom sex that occurs (those parts are definitely either made up or exaggerated for Hollywood). For the screening that I went to, there were older people there. And by older, to all you junior high kids that may come upon this, I mean they are collecting social security old. Don't get me wrong, it's a free country and people can do whatever they please, but it just shocked me.
I won't ruin it with a spoiler, so I'll just leave it at that I thought it was a very good movie. You can form your own opinions.
PS- I checked out "The Facebook Effect" and "The Twitter Job Search Guide" from the library. I'll let you guys know how they are when I'm finished!

This movie isn't in movie theaters here yet. But I want to watch this just to satisfy my curiosity of the movie.
ReplyDelete-Mia
http://miafied.blogspot.com
Where do you live? It comes out in the US October 1st (today).
ReplyDelete